Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Book Review - Swiss Watching: Inside Europe's Landlocked Island

Swiss Watching by Diccon Bewes

I found a new book to review from Netgalley that I thought all of you might be interested in.


Swiss Watching: Inside Europe's Landlocked Island by Diccon Bewes offers a look into Switzerland that goes past the clichéd ideas that we have of the country.  Bewes looks at things like the history of Switzerland and how it has played a part in the way that the country is today.  The British writer has lived in Switzerland for several years so his perspective of that of a person who is familiar with the country and the people, yet can recognize the things that those outside the country would find remarkable.  

One of my favorite parts of the book was the inclusion of cultural points and customs after each chapter.  I didn’t know too much about Switzerland before I read this, but now I know more beyond the mountains, cheese, and cuckoo clocks.  There are still many things about the country that weren’t covered in this book, I’m sure, but it gave me enough to enjoy the book without being overwhelmed.  I was interested in reading this book because I am fascinated by Switzerland as I think lots of other people are.  If you are one of those people and you haven’t read too many other books about the country, I would recommend this book to you.

Now, I want to start planning my next trip to Switzerland!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...